Butternut Squash Challenge




This year, for the first time, I grew some butternut squash.  I didn't know if they were going to be a success or not as the plant wasn't in the ground, but in a container by the back door.  I'd intended to transplant it into the veggie patch once it got too big for the pot but in the end I decided to leave it where it was as it seemed to be perfectly happy in the pot and I didn't want to tempt fate by disturbing it.  

The plant provided lots of leafy, green decorative foliage (with yellow flowers to attract the bees) throughout the summer and, as the leaves have died back over the past month, 4 delightful butternut squashes have been revealed.

I have set myself a challenge of using each one in a different recipe.  The first recipe is a spicy soup, which I sort of made up as I went along, so it was a bit of a gamble, but I can honestly say it did not disappoint.  


Spicy Butternut Squash Soup

Here's my recipe if you want to give it a go:-

Serves 4 - 6 (depending on portion size)

  • 1 small to medium sized butternut squash, peeled and chopped
  • roughly the same volume of potatoes, scrubbed and chopped (I always scrub the skins and leave them on as that's where the goodness and the flavour is)
  • 1 large spring onion / scallion, chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, chopped (I use a garlic press)
  • knob of butter
  • 1 small - medium sized chilli pepper (I used one from my own chilli plant)
  • 2 large chestnut mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 veggie stock cube - made into stock with 1 and a half pints of water
  • 1 x 400ml can of coconut milk
  • cube of fresh ginger, finely chopped (or half a teaspoon of dried ginger)
  •  1 level teaspoon of turmeric
  •  quarter teaspoon of Thai spice mix

1.  Melt the butter in a large pan and gently cook the spring onion, garlic, chilli and ginger for about 5 minutes until softened.

2.  Add the mushrooms, and other spices and cook for 1 minute.

3.  Add the veggie stock, potatoes, squash and coconut milk and bring to the boil.

4.  Cover and simmer gently for about 15 - 20 minutes, until the potatoes/squash are soft

5.  Remove from heat and use a blender to blend the ingredients together into an even consistency.

6.  Serve with fresh crusty bread and enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts